Wednesday, June 07, 2006

happy birthday

yale stamp

it's my birthday. i'm 43. and i'm starting the process of becoming a registered architect today. this is something most folks do right after architecture school. i wouldn't have done it any sooner. it didn't feel right.

it's been 16 years since i graduated, almost to the day. i went to the yale school of architecture, which, it happens, was built in 1963, the year i was born. there is a stamp featuring it. yale was extremely challenging for me and by year three there was nothing i wanted to do less than be an architect. i burned out, fried, never wanted to hear another talk about architecture or engage in a conversation about it, which, naturally, was what people wanted to do with me knowing i'd just graduated.

instead, i dove back into my prior haunt: software engineering. the problems were simpler, shorter and what i did—create software—was invisible. i went into hiding behind a veil of binary code. this led to that and in 1992 i purchased a down-and-out building that i happened by one day. over the next seven years i, with the help of my sister and a few others, conceived and constructed a small artist colony within the shell of this 160-year-old mill building. i learned how to frame, sheetrock, paint, mix concrete, learned the building code, how to work with contractors, how to build with very little. i ended up spending about $12 per square foot. but, this project also burned me out, and i told everyone, "never again!" but, in 1999, i wandered into a 45,000 square foot bakery dormant in the center of town and asked to rent some space. they offered me the building and by april 2000 i owned it with my parents, brothers and sisters as partners. i got out the drafting board and with architect friends danny sagan, alisa dworsky and daniel johnson as my "design therapists", worked up a schematic plan which i executed over the next three years. this building, called the tip top, is another arts building like my first, but on a much larger scale. it is a success. it attracts hundreds of people each day and has served as the poster child for the revitalization of our small town.

it's been three years since i finished the tip top, which also burned me out. being the architect, general contractor and manager wore me down and i found myself saying "never again!" but, with practice, we all become more resilient and grow. our little town is now growing, changing and seems poised to become a very happening little spot. i feel a role for myself as an architect here. there are lots more buildings that need work and i feel capable and want to help. being a licensed architect may help—i don't really know. my gut feeling is that it will but what's important is not the license. it's that i'm taking myself seriously and believe in my intention and dreams.

3 comments:

runlikehell said...

hey- happy birthday, baby boy!

Matt Bucy said...

thanks dennis!

ratna, are you ratna pappert? if so your mom gave me a comic you'd done recently a while back. wonderful!

Unknown said...

Matt-
I am a former resident of central VT/ A former Yestermorrow and Sellers and Co. Design Build intern. I saw the Tip Top building while I working in the area and was really impressed by the project.

I am now an MIT architecture student (on a 2 semester leave because of the very burn out you describe here) working on 'green' commercial redevelopment in New Orleans.

Are there good pictures of the building and spaces anywhere online? I would love to show the project to the folks i'm working with to help inspire my some creative thinking about inexpensive commercial adaptive reuse. The area of New Orleans we're working in makes downtown WRJ look like Woodstock, but the general idea still holds: thoughtful, creative, and optimistic design can be a catalist for people driven urban redevelopment.

Thanks so much for your work and for pointing me towards any images you might have.

All the best,

Zach