Thursday, August 10, 2006

coffee, AGAIN!

Image636.jpeg

for the past few years i haven't drunk coffee. i'm now working on architecture and i find myself drinking coffee. nerves, feeling stressed over designs, worrying about quality, comparing my work to others...anxiety! i ran into these stresses in architecture school and i wonder if unresolved issues are surfacing. a few months ago i was happily eating a healthy diet, no suguar, no caffiene, no meat, just grains, beans, veggies, cultured foods, getting plenty of sleep, daily yoga, a balanced life and i felt good. but, i'm resolved to work through this, figure out how to find balance in my design work and restore balance in the rest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Other choices:
http://www.kushistore.com/acatalog/The_Kushi_Store_Coffee__Tea___Other_Beverages_12.html

I work in an architectural firm now. I start the day with a cup of ginseng and then drink kukicha twig tea for the rest of the day.

happy balancing!
Ray

Matt Bucy said...

i'll give it a try. does it change your architecture?

Anonymous said...

I just put paper in file cabinets, but if architecture refers to the quality of homeostasis in my body then I would say that avoiding intoxicants and stimulants keeps me at a gentle hum. kukicha tea has a nice wooden taste and very little caffeine. Ginseng tea helps the adrenals get strong again. Coffee wears them out.

I watch the architects around me chug the coffee and freak out over deadlines, which always pass and rarely are devastating if missed. But I can see that they are attached to the thrill of this. For many the architectural profession seems to be a passionate love affair with time and detail.

Two good friends do this dance very well though, while keeping their bodies as balanced as their designs:

www.singlespeeddesign.com

peace!