Thursday, March 08, 2007

migration

i've migrated to gmail, google's email service. it's interesting to me how the computer world started with large centralized machines, moved to desktop machines, and is now, in many ways, is heading back to the centralized model. both have their pluses and minuses. neither is perfect. with respect to email, i like the centralized model. it's useful to be able to check email from any machine, or even cell phone, rather than have it bound up on a single machine. i chose gmail because it imports email from all my other email accounts, sorts it nicely into conversations and then allows me to download it to my home machine for backup, just in case. it's also very fast on slow machines and is almost advertisement free and doesn't tag my emails with advertizing footers.

along similar lines, perhaps, the remark made by einstein, "make things as simple as possible, but no simpler," or words to that effect, has been resonating with me. my life is pretty complicated and i find myself, on occasion, trying to simplify it beyond its simplest, and as a result stuff gets lost, forgotten, ignored, unattended. it's not good. i'm trying to embrace all the complexity of my life and myself without trying to crunch it into this or that paradigm. i guess i'm a sucky fundamentalist.

1 comment:

The Writer said...

dork,
email me with your new email address, DORK!

-PW