Sunday, January 25, 2009

snacking update

cat food

it's been three weeks since i started the no-snack experiment. results so far:

  • i've dropped three pounds (1 pound per week = 3500 calories per week = 500 calories per day. makes sense. i was probably eating about 500 calories in snacks per day).
  • i feel thinner even though i would say i look the same.
  • i drink more water (instead of snacking).
  • i am less attracted to sugary food. in fact i don't think about it much at all. i used to crave sugar regularly. i wouldn't say that craving is gone altogether, but much reduced.
  • i seem to naturally select nutritious foods during meals.
  • i enjoy the food i am eating more, much more. knowing that what i am eating is it for the next few hours shifts my attitude toward it.
  • i am less compelled to eat seconds, which for me was about hording, competing, racing and probably has something to do with being trained as a child to clean my plate for seconds.
  • i feel more in control in my life. this one was unexpected.
  • i never feel bloated.
  • it has been easy to stay faithful, even enjoyable, unlike any other food regime i've tried.

2 comments:

Shelly a.k.a. Sloppy Jo said...

I needed some motivation to keep on track with my "no snacking" plan.. thanks.

Matt Bucy said...

well sloppy jo, since i wrote that post i've lost about 20 pounds. 190 to 170. i think the trick is drinking water rather than snacking, and when you eat, eat regularly and eat well--lots of veggies, grains, whole foods, very little processed food. michael pollan's "omnivore's dilemma" is inspirational.

i've learned to ask my stomach rather than my head (aka emotional habit-master) about food, and most of the time my stomach tells me it's not hungry. i also have found that when i'm dehydrated, i choose food over water for some reason, and consciously choosing water seems to interrupt that habit. when i'm really hungry, i know now. eating on a schedule helps, and disciplining yourself not to eat between meals really has worked for me. the proof is in the eating ;)