Saturday, October 15, 2005

one foot

Image522.jpeg

see my toes. they kink up. i've been called a "toe gripper." this means the inserts in my shoes slowly creep toward the heel during the life of the shoe because, in every step, i grip and release with my toes. the insert in my sneekers wraps about two inches up the heel end of the shoe now and my big toe is digging a big hole in the rubber top of the sole.

apparently, this is a common thing with tall people. it is a long way down to earth for us. i do recall, as a teen, falling a lot as my body inched skyward. i remember my knees aching, my bones hurting in a deep, internal way. my doctor says my bones grew too fast and my tendons didn't keep pace, so my legs can't be straightened, nor my toes, and i will forever be gripping. i'm not so sure about this. i'm working on stretching them out and not gripping. in the last year i'm pretty sure they're a bit straighter, but it is true that i feel the stretch in my tendons, not in my muscles. in the book i read recently, freakinomics, tall people get more respect. small consolation for not being able to touch my toes with straight legs!

No comments: