Monday, January 09, 2006

tender validation

kd
krishna das

roger
roger

danny
danny

ann
ann

i travelled up to burlington, vermont yesterday to see a krishna das concert with danny, roger and ann. krishna das performs traditional hindu chants which are sung with the audience in call and response. the chants are devotional, sung to myriad gods and goddesses and simply repeat, again and again, lulling one into a heavy breathing (because you're chanting) meditative state. i'm pretty sure it gives you the same high as christmas caroling.

we chanted for three hours and afterwards i felt energetic, a bit tingly, knees tired from being bent, ass sore from lack of padding, but i must say i really learned how to sit! i took a yoga class with danny in the morning in which i discovered my abs and how weak mine are. my belly can attest. sitting, i began to play with my abs, pulling my belly in and up, creating what's called a lock in yoga. this seemed to lengthen my spine, set me upright. i was surprised after playing around for about a half hour while rocking and chanting to find my pelvis suddenly roll forward and my legs relax. truly, for the first time since i can remember, i found myself sitting, unsupported and relaxed. hallelujah! i've been trying to achieve this for years. and since i'm going to be sitting a lot later this week and all of next in a meditation retreat, i'm happy this bit of enlightenment landed in my lap. my abs felt taught, like a stretched sheet, but they weren't straining. it felt like my torso was floating.

we all went out for a bite to eat before and afterwards, had great, fun conversation. it felt like vacation, silly and relaxed, and occasionally meaty when we probed. getting back to danny and roger's in plainfield after midnight, i slept by their wood stove and had a crazy dream about trains.

while checking out at the montpelier coop, the cash register display informed me it was performing "tender validation." i mentioned to the clerk that everyone needs it.

3 comments:

Friend said...

Best Wishes for your meditation retreat!

What was the seating like at the Krishna Das concert? (I am attending one this Saturday and have a creaky knee.)

Matt Bucy said...

charlie, mostly floor seating, a few chairs. i sat on a zafu. some people danced at the edges.

Friend said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.