Friday, December 22, 2006

loop de loop

Image654.jpeg

this christmas's travel is beating my prior christmas travel hell. during that trip, an old woman used the emergency exit handle to support her as she sat down, inflating the emergency slide onto the luggage handlers. 24 hours later i made it to my destination, travelling through four different cities in a pattern reminiscent of needlepoint on acid.

but, today, was worse. i boarded a plane for charlotte, north carolina, arrived just fine, sat waiting for my next plane to find out it was cancelled. when i inquired about alternate flights they offered me a flight in FIVE days! i laughed out loud and said, quietly, no. they offered to fly me halfway around the country to a destination only 850 miles from where i was trying to get. so, they ultimately flew me back to where i started and said, good luck. pondering my options.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Airports are absolute HELL!!! I had a crappy experience with one back in Summer... it involved sleeping in the gate seating area overnight while we waited for connecting flights which repeatedly kept getting canceled. Nowhere near as frustrating as your current predicament though.

Anonymous said...

Such a great laugh, can just imagine the inflation!!

The Writer said...

I had a sucky airplane experience in October. In DC, waiting for a connecting flight. last flight to LaGuardia CANCELLED after boarding the plane, then being told we had to get off the place, then boarding the plane, then...
And the airline claimed it wasn't their fault, even though they, at one point, announced the plane was "broken."

Stranded at midnight in a DC airport. All hotels booked solid.

What did I do?
Got myself to Union Station and took the 3am Amtrak back to NYC.

Trains are expensive, but in my experience, they are a much better "flight" for many many reasons.