Tuesday, October 24, 2006

the art of blah

art of the banal

i'm feeling blah. i find it's a healthy state of mind for meditation. a subtle depression, lack of enthusiasm, lethargy--nothing calls me to action, no one is pressuring me. sometimes i feel as if i can't move. i'll look out at my leg resting on a chair and it's not a great leap for me to consider that it's someone else's leg. sit, feel, observe, stay quiet, don't move. the art of blah. i also feel like watching television while blah. i consumed two episodes of queer as folk last night. it didn't change my mood much, other than to cause me to reflect on how different my life is from those in the show. how did we, as a culture, come to consider blah as bad? why have we not been able to embrace it as a natural and beneficial state of affairs? when was the last time you saw blah being touted as positive? when i turn blah, it's my inclination to push it away, pretend to be happy. but, i've noticed that what starts to move me from blahdom is the acknowledgement of it. until i own the blah, allow that it's a part of me and stop bashing it (which really is bashing myself) i remain stuck in blah. static blah is a bummer. but dynamic blah is pretty interesting. so, i say, embrace your blah! relax into it, open up to its charms, soften your rejection of it, rejoice in blah, observe its flow. take boring pictures. say nothing interesting. make no excuses.

1 comment:

Matt Bucy said...

hey ray, i checked out the book you linked. interesting. i do find myself freezing up on occasion. thanks for the pointer. -m