Saturday, July 09, 2005

Late Night


I stayed up almost all night working on the Marsha P Johnson film. My friend Dennis Grady gave me a CD by Sigur Ros. Like magic their song, Samskeyti, inspired an approach to editing that turned out beautifully. I often find that rhythm and timing, musical notions, are just as important in moving images, even dialog, as they are in music. what makes a film flow? lots of the same things that make music flow. it also struck me how one has to remain open to everything to be creative. so much played into my editing breakthrough: there was an art gallery opening here last night, to which i went, to which my friend went, at which he gave me a cd, to which i listened after getting frustrated with my work, which then gave me an idea that worked really well. we're all in this together!

card: six of discs: having/not having

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To complete the circle:
1) stumbled into your bbblog while checking my website stats and saw that somebody went there from here, so clicked on the url and there you were;
2) i had decided to use the same sigur ros tune in my "wayne" video for precisely the same reasons.

grape minds think all night

Matt Bucy said...

how bout that! hey dennis. didn't know this was you.